Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The egotistic me

Ever felt you were unlucky when someone of your friends is very lucky? I did. And am sure you did too. Why is this - is this because of our karma? Or just that you are unlucky? Or because he is plain lucky? Or is it because you are jealous? I think I have an answer, but unfortunately it is an amalgam of many complex feelings, I believe.

Firstly, I think it is EGO. We expect a lot from ourselves. If we did good, we expect a lot more the next time and think we are capable of whatever we achieved. If we didn't, we just curse our rotten luck and call ourselves unlucky. Isn't this egotistic? What do we consider ourselves to be?

I remember an interesting story during my Engineering days. I had a class mate who, I know for sure, never on a single given day studied, except for on the day before the exam. He would look at old papers, mug a few questions and because he was intelligent, would do good at exams. Once due to his ILL FATE none of the questions he studied showed up on the exam, and of course he flunked. He cursed the guy who set the paper and blamed his ill luck. Isn't this egotistic? I did this too, I got a bad score in EAMCET and remember blaming God for it, but thinking of that day, I feel I should have worked hard, and instead of blaming myself, I blamed the silent, all-seeing almighty.

Part of the EGO problem is the complexes involved with it. When you expect a lot from yourself, we tend to consider ourselves so superior to others, that we often overlook other's superiority, and end up suffering from the inferiority complex or losing friends in this pandemonium. You think the other person doesn't deserve whatever he has achieved and think it is plain luck. Stop doing that! Everyone deserves anything. Just because you didn't get it doesn't mean no one should get it.

Does this mean you shouldn't be confident? This will lead to my real world blog I wrote a few days ago. And I don't want to go there now.

The next reason I see is, not you problem but the person's whom you think is lucky. If he keeps blaberring about his work when you know he never did or keeps boasting, it might effect us. We are not all Swami Vivekanandas' are we? But please remember that some people do it to stop you from thinking its just luck or because of their own complex problems.

Do I sound very preachy? These are just my observations. Please post in some comments or add to this discussion. I will continue this blog, next time.

3 comments:

.C said...

This time, you did ask for comments, didn't you? :-) Hmmm... I have a lot to say, since E-G-O is one thing that intrigues me all the time. I might continue a discussion of your blog in my blog like earlier. (Why, of course, you drew a relation to "The Real World"!) In fact, I did write some earlier, in a different context. Well, see it all in my blog soon. And, yes, let's continue a discussion. This time, I want you to respond here about my response too, please!

.C said...

My response #1 in my blog: http://kirandotc.blogspot.com/2006/03/ego-me-or-you.html

Hemanth Pradeep said...

fine thing
even i did felt the same way many times
nice post buddy