Wednesday, February 08, 2006

What we lack

I guess it was in my ninth class when we discussed this - What is the main problem which is pulling India back from its path towards becoming a developed nation. We came up with a list, a small vicious cycle, each effecting the other. Here it goes - Poverty, Illiteracy, Caste System and population.

We were prety young and discussing a big bad topic, and I feel we did a god job don't you think? But do you know what's missing in that list? We only came to know about it after our stepping into the brutal real world. 'LACK OF SINCERITY'.

You think this is an anti climax? Let me explain. Think about this incident, which might have happened in everyone of your lives. A teacher helping a student to cheat in an exam... If only the student was sincere enough he would have never asked the teacher's help. But if the teacher was sincere enough to teach the student properly, this wouldn't have haappende in the first place. All the student wants is to get through the exam and the teacher just wants to keep his job. But do they put any effort in? No they are pretty much sure things will work out in the end.

This is just a scenario but as you might have observed by now, the problem is really grave. Put a little thought into this - a student who doesn't work hard, a teacher who wastes time in a class, a peon who is ever searching to get some bribe, a dad advising his son to bribe the TC for a berth, an elder brother who educates his sibling on how to cheat in an exam, an employee just trying to ward off work and spend the day... We are all culprits shame on us. But you know what, surprisingly in our society we thugs are called smart people.

I know it is difficult to stay sincere and argue with everybody, that is stupid. But all I ask is don't just blatantly be insincere. Don't just always try to squeeze in, put some effort. There will always be people who will put in zero effort and get the same results as you do. They are smart people. But even now, after seeing so many people of that kind, I have firm faith in the fact that hard work never gets wasted and we shall reap the sweeter fruit. (May be I am being too optimistic and didn't lose faith, correct me if I am wrong!)

I shall write more later. Let me sleep now. After all I need to go work sincerely at my office tomorrow.

2 comments:

.C said...

"To me an Indian is one who has got a Vedantic brain which probes deep and soars high; an Islamic body that is vibrant and valiant; a Buddhistic heart overflowing with compassion and kindness and Christian limbs of service and sacrifice." - Swami Vivekananda

Somehow found this relevant. I was just reading this when I read your blog.

More comments later, maybe.

srinivaskarlapudi said...

problems india facing are interrelated. you mentioned Poverty, Illiteracy, Caste System and population. but u forgot to mention Corruption, the most dangerous evil.

if people become literates all the other problem will vanish automatically. ofcourse that is not exactly automatic, people realise the roots of the problems and act accordingly. if i find time, i will write a blog with my experiences which touched all the above problems.